What a full-on 90 days we have spent in the USA. Man oh man! Can you believe it has been 90 days already! Yup, tomorrow is our 90th day basking in the stars and stripes and the absolute final day on our American visas. We are stretching our stay to the max and will be rolling over the border into Mexico tomorrow. Enter the next stage of our TotallyTandem journey; Central America!
But before we leave, we wanted to recap a few of the stats of our time here;
- 4 states (Washington, Oregon, Nevada & California)
- Total Distance – 3,420.95km
- Highest Elevation gained – 1,591 m
- Total Elevation gained – 32,738 m
- Highest Elevation – 2,712.72 m riding Reno to Incline Village (Mt Rose)
- Fastest speed – 80.3kph riding Manchester to Bodega Bay
- Average Speed – 12.79kph
- Longest day – 113.5kph riding Manchester to Bodega Bay
- 1 x free wheel bearing (replaced by warranty)
- 1x front brake pads
- 1 x rear brake pads
- 1 x rear tyre
- 1 x rear tyre sidewall failure
- 3 x valve tube failures
- 0 x punctures
- 12 broken spokes (6 front and 6 rear)
- 1 x new custom-built rear wheel
- 3 x head shaves (each)
- And the most important statistic of all, countless new friends.
The wonderful people we have met have certainly shaped our journey and totally inspired us in so many ways. Whether we have cycled with you, chatted on the street, exchanged emails, had a mini adventure together, shared a meal or had the pleasure of staying with you, you have totally made our trip awesome! We can’t thank you all enough for being a part of our trip! Too many times have rolled past without us always capturing the moment in a photo, and as sad as that makes us, there are just some times that have to be remembered the old-fashioned way. So we will include here some of the faces that we met along the way, if yours is not here, please don’t feel left out. Rest assured your friendship will never be forgotten.
Thank you to everyone, here there and everywhere for being a part of our journey so far!
Our next blog will come to you from the Baha Peninsula, Mexico. We don’t know what wi-fi access will be like so we may be offline for a bit, but rest assured, we have done our research and are feeling confident about the border crossing. Especially with our new hard-core rear wheel!
With my birthday coming up on 21st Oct, I expect to be sampling some local delights somewhere between Rosarito and Ensenada. I would love to ask that any birthday love be directed through me to World Bicycle Relief. If everyone contributes just $1 to WBR through TotallyTandem in honour of my birthday, then we will collectively be supplying close to 6 bikes to rural Africa. Now That, really is a good birthday pressie.
Cheers to you all!
Much lovings, Bremma